Last night we made spaghetti squash with a tomato sauce and jalapeño cornbread!
We’ve never made the spaghetti squash before and maybe would do things a little differently next time but it was SO tasty anyways:
- Slice it in half long way
- Scoop out the seeds (just like a pumpkin!)
- Drizzle in olive oil and spices (I made a rub with oil, garlic salt and black pepper)
- Bake cut side down on some parchment paper at 375 for about 35-40 minutes
- Remove from oven, fill center with sauce and top with cheese (optional). Pop back in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Can of diced tomatoes
- Fresh tomato chunks
- Small can of tomato paste
- 3 cloves of peeled and diced garlic
- Half of a red onion, peeled and diced
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 3/4 jalapeño with seeds, diced
Throw the onions and garlic in some oil to brown them and then mix in the other ingredients. Let simmer for 30 min-1 hour.
For the cornbread we just used Jiffy mix, followed the recipe but added the leftover 1/4 jalapeño into the batter and poured it into a lined cupcake pan. Also I drizzled mine with local honey👍🏼
Since I’ve been avoiding processed snack foods this past week- that meant no morning granola bar at my desk while I worked. so long Nature Valley fruit and nut bars 😦
Anyone else find themselves in the perpetual granola bar loop? I feel like I was substituting a meal a day with some sort of pre-packaged snack and that’s gotta stop.
Also; I have to go grocery shopping soooo bad so don’t judge me for the kinda weird ingredients in these meals.
alright alright; without further delay…
Breakfasts in a hurry:
Mason Jar Oatmeal
In the jar:
- 1/2 cup plain oats
- 1/4 of a raw Granny Smith apple
In the blue container:
- Leftover raw peanut and granola mixture from my last hike
- Raw Walnuts
- Bear Naked chocolate granola
At work I put 1 cup of water in the mason jar, microwaved for 2.5 minutes and mixed in the toppings. 👍🏼 you could definitely just mix all the toppings in the mason jar and make it a one-jar meal; but I prefer to keep my toppings separate- just a personal preference.
- Frozen pineapple chunks
- Small handful of raw spinach
- Two tablespoons of mandarin oranges.. mine were from a can, in light syrup… you win some you lose some 😬 #sugarsugarsugar
- Big splash of strawberry lemonade
- 1/4 raw avocado
I put all the ingredients right into my magic bullet cup and blend til creamy and wonderful.
Great autobiographical piece on Alex Honnold and his AMAZING free solo career.
Last two books I read/recommend:
A real kick in the butt to improve your daily habits:
FANTASTIC autobiographical piece about the lead singer of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and his struggle with addiction.
Hey y’all! Like I mentioned in my about me; I’m creating this blog to kind of keep track of my daily health journey and outdoor rec.
some basics about me and where I’m at with my body, eating etc…
* I love eating food!!
* I eat 100% vegetarian, about 50% vegan
* I ran my first half marathon in 2016, thanks to my most motivating amiga in the greater Chicago area.
(Ps that’s my instagram- feel free to go follow!)
* My personal goals are to climb every 14er in Colorado.
* I climbed my first two 14’ers last year (Humboldt and Elbert)
* I’m going with my darling Micah to Miami in two weeks for a music festival and have amended my diet to cut out fast food and processed snacks until then.
* I’m currently on a 5-6 day workout regimen, helping out a friend who has gained some weight over the years (after having THREE kiddos!) that was recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.